Please Help Us Protect SNAP By Writing A Comment To The Government Urging Them To Protect The Program
In an effort to cut spending, the Trump Administration is proposing to reduce funding for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Sometimes called food stamps, SNAP is a program that protects the most vulnerable in society. SNAP benefits are accepted at grocery stores to buy essentials and help food insecure individuals accomplish more, with less.
However, the Trump administration is looking to cut SNAP benefits by billions. On February 2nd the Administration published the proposed SNAP Rulemaking that will impact Able Bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWDs) and their receipt of SNAP benefits in the federal register.
By USDA’s own estimates, its proposal would eliminate SNAP benefits for an additional 755,000 adults and cut SNAP benefits on a ten year basis by $15 billion.
This officially triggered a required 60-day public comment period. The period ends on April 2, 2019. Please make your voice heard and submit a comment before then.
Tell the Trump Administration the proposed rule is harsh and unfair. It would:
- Cause serious harm to individuals, communities, and the nation
- Fuel rates of hunger and poverty by denying vulnerable people nutrition assistance at a time when they most need it.
- Do nothing to improve the health and employment of those impacted by the proposed rule
- Harm the economy, grocery retailers, and agricultural producers by reducing the amount of SNAP dollars available to spur local economic activity.
- Sidestep Congress, which rejected these changes when it enacted the 2018 Farm Bill.